Invention of Box/Field Easel
- The 19th century invention of box/field easels was created to contain the growing numbers of artists wanting to work En plein air.
- Easels are used to hold work of art in place, it can hold large canvases or panels.
- Small easels can fold up to make it easy to transport while the large easels can not be easily transported outdoors because of their large size.
- The easels contained most of the supplies needed for painting, and the legs could be adjusted so that the canvas could be evenly or unevenly stretched.
- The demand of easels came to many leading manufacturers to offer outdoor painting kits that combined a paint box with a portable easel to others rather than only to artists.